Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Rolling the "r-r-r-r-r-r's" a bit on an old song.....

As we step into the month of March, we see all about us signs that the Irish and their green clovers and other green items are everywhere. Why, you'da thot we was all Irish in these United States of America. However, that is not the case. But I'll agree there is a bit of the Irish in a heap of us. Myself included. You see..... my granny said that on "her" side of the family they were Scotch-Irish. Now whatever does that mean? Well, I'll be tell ye all, it means that on some songs you tend to roll the "r-r-r-r's a bit. On some tunes you feel your step lighten or maybe jig a bit. In fact, you might even be inclinded to wear a bit of green around the middle of March like all the real Irish will be a-doing. Anyway, here are the words to an old hymn. Now I don't know from whence it came; but whenever we sang it in church, I'd feel the "r-r-r-r-r's" rolling, my voice had a special lilt, and I felt the music roll over me in a way that is hard to describe. I can't find the midi file online so you can hear it, but see if you can get the cadence of the words.......

STILL SWEETER EVERY DAY
To Jesus ev'ry day I find my heart is closer drawn;
He's fairer than the glory of the gold and purple dawn;
He's all my fancy pictures in its fairest dreams, and more;
Each day He grows still sweeter than He was the day before.

His glory broke upon me when I saw Him from afar;
He's fairer than the lily, brighter than the morning star;
He fills and satisfies my longing spirit o'er and o'er;
Each day He grows still sweeter than He was the day before.

My heart is sometimes heavy, but He comes with sweet relief;
He folds me to His bosom when I droop with blighting grief;
I love the Christ who all my burdens in His body bore;
Each day He grows still sweeter than He was the day before.

The half cannot be fancied this side the golden shore;
Oh, there He'll be still sweeter than He ever was before.
by--- W. C. Martin

You know, folks, it just might be the Scotch in me that loves the song so much. Who knows?

2 comments:

  1. i like it too! must have a little irish in me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And..... "He grows still sweter than He was the day before."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment here at Chat With Vera. If you need to contact me directly, please use the email associated with this blog and posted in the sidebar.