Saturday, October 29, 2011

Book Review: "My First Story of Christmas" by Tim Dowley - a book to treasure for years....

As a mother of 5 and grandmother to 13, I have read many, many books to children through the years.  When Moody Publishers sent me "My First Story of Christmas" by Tim Dowley and illustrated by Roger Langton, I felt joy and delight to be able to read, enjoy, and review it for adults of all ages who are looking for a book for that special child - be it their own child, a dear grandchild, or one to whom they simply wish to bring a bit of joy.

"My First Story of Christmas" is a brightly colored, artistically beautiful and pleasant book to look through and learn from.  The story of our Saviour's birth is told straight forward and holds true to the Biblical account and yet is in words and tone that very young children will understand and enjoy having read to them.  I also envision the young "reader" treasuring this as a book they can read themselves.

The book is sturdy.  That is something very important if you're expecting the book to last for several years as a family treasure.  The binding is good and pages strong.

Tim Dowley's telling of the story is greatly enhanced by the beautiful pictures by Roger Langton.  The drawings are simplistic yet definitive and colorful.  I like the references to Judea, King Herod, and Bethlehem for it gives real "place" to the story and enriches the learning experience. 

This will make a wonderful gift that will be appreciated by both adults and children.

ISBN-13: 978-0-8024-1758-9    ISBN-10: 0-8024-1758-2
Moody Publishers provided this book free of charge to me and I am not required to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment here at Chat With Vera. If you need to contact me directly, please use the email associated with this blog and posted in the sidebar.