Sunday, February 15, 2015

Cody and the Fountain of Happiness (Middle-Grade) by Tricia Springstubb illustrated by Eliza Wheeler

On Sale 4/14/2015
Middle-grade readers drawn to Judy Moody or Clementine will find a funny and charismatic companion in Cody, star of this delightful new series.

160 pages
ISBN: 9780763658571 
Hardcover $14.99
For whimsical Cody, many things are beautiful, especially ants who say hello by rubbing feelers. But nothing is as beautiful as the first day of summer vacation, and Cody doesn’t want to waste one minute of it. Meanwhile, teenage brother Wyatt is moping over a girl, Mom is stressed about her new job as Head of Shoes, Dad is off hauling chairs in his long-distance truck, and even camp has been closed for the summer. What to do? Just when all seems lost, Cody bumps into a neighborhood boy named Spencer who is looking for a runaway cat. With a new friend and a soon-to-be-found cat, Cody is on her way to the fountain of happiness.
 SAMPLE CHAPTER

My thoughts: Cody and the Fountain of Happiness is billed as a fun book for middle-grade readers. However, as I read through it I found that in my opinion the only middle-grade readers for whom the book would have appeal would be slow readers.


I did find that there were a couple of items in the story that I found inappropriate for 7 to 10 year olds and they involve the crush Cody’s teen brother has on a teen girl. While this was not handled inappropriately, the subject was just not a desirable one. Also, the mother-drama involving her stress over work is hardly the subject for 7 to 10 year olds, or even middle-graders, in my opinion. 


The story has much potential. Cody is sparkly and filled with personality. She cares for others and she cares for the ants and Mew Mew the cat. So this aspect of the story is fun and instructional. I also like the way Cody relates to the neighbors - Spencer who is staying with his Grandmother. There is the potential for a lot of joy and happiness in this story. It just needs less teen-drama and mother-drama. The illustrations are very nicely done and lend interest which would be helpful for either an early-reader or a reluctant-reader book


So I can’t truly recommend this book since I was somewhat disappointed. It isn’t a total loss. Just not one I can heartily  recommend. 


DISCLOSURE: I received an Advance Reading Copy from Candlewick Press to facilitate review. Opinions expressed are solely my own. I received no compensation for the review. 

3 comments:

  1. I like that you gave an honest review of the work.
    Nice review on your part.

    Naila Moon #KLBH Hostess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always appreciate your honesty in your reviews. We weren't big fans of Judy Moody so I was already a little leery from your intro. Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday! (I figured I'd stop by today since I hope to be very busy with a new baby next week at this time!)
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. The illustrations DO look nice.. its sad that the book didn't do more on actual story telling. Thanks for sharing on KidLitBlogHop.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment here at Chat With Vera. If you need to contact me directly, please use the email associated with this blog and posted in the sidebar.