Friday, October 2, 2015

The Big Pig Stampede by Bob Hartman

Kids, boys especially, will relish this entertaining book because it is lively, chock full of boy-slang, and escapades with which the boys can identify.

Goat Boy, so called because his big brother nick-named him that, and his friend “Bug” are sons of market  business men and they help their Dads feed animals, run errands, and a variety of other stuff. But primarily the two of them seem to land right in the midst of the miracle worker – Jesus of Nazareth. They are amazed at water being changed into wine, a massive haul of fish, and other miracles.

The author brings out the ministry of Jesus as seen through the eyes of young boys. I am sure that today’s young boys will enjoy this entertaining read.

Now, as far as Chat With Vera is concerned, I did not care for the slang and use of words such as “jerk.” I preferred better language in the stories my children and grandchildren read. True, it is sometimes appropriate to the story or culture. I do not care for stories centered  around Biblical events and people that are embellished, added to, and fictionalized. However, I can see where they are beneficial to some readers.


Bob Hartman is a respected and well-loved author of children’s books and he certain captures their attention.

DISCLOSURE: Tyndale House Publishers provided a complimentary copy of this book to facilitate this review. Opinions are my own. I was not compensated for this review.

2 comments:

  1. This looks so cute! I love Tyndale's book choices...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great way to get kids to learn more about the Bible like my son who is a reluctant religious book reader!! Thanks for sharing at the Kid Lit Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment here at Chat With Vera. If you need to contact me directly, please use the email associated with this blog and posted in the sidebar.