Monday, October 26, 2015

99 Prayers for Children By Juliet David and Elina Ellis

My thoughts: This is definitely a classic! The prayers are rhymes or poems and simply endear themselves to adult and child alike. Included are beautiful classics from the pen of Robert Louis Stevenson to Francis of Assisi. Then there are new prayers and Scripturally based prayers.

I remember using lovely rhyming prayers with my children. This directed their hearts and minds toward God in a manner that implanted the thoughts in their minds. Rhyme is also a wonderful tool for teaching as it enables the mind to better recall.

I like that the prayers are grouped by category: for a new day, at bedtime, thanks to God, God's wonderful World, special days, etc. By grouping them the reader can more easily return to favorites or those being memorized. There is also an Index of First Lines which is an unusual, but great, addition to a children's book.

Jesus, tender Shepherd, hear me:
Bless your little child tonight;
Through the darkness, please be near me,
Keep me safe till morning light.
                                     --Mary L. Duncan

Day by day, Dear Lord,
three things I pray:
To see you more clearly,
To love you more dearly,
To follow you more nearly,
Day by day.
                                                 --Richard of Chichester

Some of the poems are in simple prose, not rhyming. This is a good way to teach a child spontaneity in prayer that comes from the heart.

Another delightful book recommended by Chat With Vera.

About the book: A companion prayer book to 99 Stories from the Bible with delightful illustrations in a strong vibrant style and prayers for all occasions. The prayers are a combination of traditional and modern and provide an introduction to family prayer time with young children, bringing talking to God to life in the heart of every child.

DISCLOSURE: I was provided a complimentary copy by Kregel Publications to on behalf of Lion Hudson to facilitate this review. Opinions are my own. I was not compensated for this review.

2 comments:

  1. I love little prayer books for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember really enjoying prayer books as a child, but I can't remember which ones I had. This one looks great, and I may just surprise some of my own kids with it soon! Thanks for being a part of Booknificent Thursday this week!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment here at Chat With Vera. If you need to contact me directly, please use the email associated with this blog and posted in the sidebar.