Friday, June 27, 2014

What Makes Author, Dianna T. Benson Write? Book release May 19 "FINAL TRIMESTER"

We're getting an opportunity to see has happened to Dianna T. Benson as she has ventured into the realm of writing Christian suspense. 

Dianna, tell us a bit about how you came to begin this journey of writing Christian suspense and how it has worked out for you so far.

I started writing my first book in 1993 when my oldest child was a newborn. After completing five novels, having two more children, earning my EMS degree and working for two years as an EMT, I signed with my first agent in 2007. At that time, I was writing mainstream suspense. Six agents offered me representation that spring; it was a difficult choice between them since all six are top-notch. 


In the fall of 2007, a film agent requested a screenplay of The Hidden Son after reading the book. In early 2009, just before I completed the script, the film agent suddenly retired due to health issues; I never pursued anything further with the script. 

Later in 2009, I received a four-book mainstream contract offer, but turned it down to focus on my family since my husband was just diagnosed with head and neck cancer. During his surgeries and radiation treatments, I took care of our young family of five and read Christian fiction for comfort and support. While reading, I recognized various elements within my own writing that would be an ideal fit for the inspirational suspense genre. So, I continued to read a ton of Christian fiction. Then I wrote my first inspirational suspense and loved writing it. Suspense is my natural writing voice. An EMT and Haz-Mat and FEMA Operative for a decade, I naturally implement my firsthand medical and rescue knowledge and experience into my stories. Inspirational is a thread I love writing and it fits within my characterizations and plotlines like a key puzzle piece.   


In 2011, I won the Genesis in the mystery/suspense/thriller category.  In 2012, I signed with a new agent; within days I had a contract offer from B&H, a large traditional Christian publisher. That contract was pending for thirteen weeks due to the publishing house facing difficulties (less than a year later they permanently discontinued their fiction department). During those thirteen weeks, my agent let go of all the other interest in my writing. I considered ending my writing career before it even really began. Since EMS was always a part time career for me (too intense for full time), I applied to Penn State to earn my Masters in psychology to become a social worker out in the field (not clinical) – Think: EMS without the medical aspects. I was accepted into the psychology program and decided to put my writing career on hold. But…due to my Genesis win, Ellechor Publishing House, a small traditional Christian publishing house, contacted me, requesting me to submit to them. Within days, they offered me a nine-book contract.  

For details on what led me to start writing that first book in 1993, read my WRITING page on my website: www.diannatbenson.com


You have a book,  Final Trimesterdue to release May 19, 2014. Tell us a bit about it, please.
Paramedic Jodi Duncan recognizes the work of a serial killer before the Myrtle Beach PD even suspects a connection between the deaths of two pregnant women. Despite the vast differences in the two cases, Jodi urges Detective Nate Quigley to think outside the box. After digging deep into the separate investigations, Nate finds no evidence to support a serial killer theory, and he warns Jodi to back off police business, which only fuels her passion for the cases.

When a third pregnant woman is murdered, Nate is named lead detective on the case and works to link the deaths in order to unmask and stop the serial murderer, a disturbed man who believes God and the devil battle inside his head to bend him according to their wills. As he fights both voices, his interest fixates on Jodi when he discovers her obsession with ending his rampage.


More about Dianna Torscher Benson -  is a 2014 Selah Award Winner, a 2011 Genesis Winner, a 2011 Genesis double Semi-Finalist, a 2010 Daphne de Maurier Finalist, and a 2007 Golden Palm Finalist. In 2012, she signed a nine-book contract with Ellechor Publishing House. She’s the author of The Hidden Son, her debut novel. Final Trimester is her second release. 

After majoring in communications and a ten-year career as a travel agent, Dianna left the travel industry to earn her EMS degree. An EMT and a Haz-Mat and FEMA Operative since 2005, she loves the adrenaline rush of responding to medical emergencies and helping people in need. 

Dianna lives in North Carolina with her husband and their three children. 
Website: www.diannatbenson.com

Her releases are available wherever books are sold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment here at Chat With Vera. If you need to contact me directly, please use the email associated with this blog and posted in the sidebar.