Monday, December 17, 2018

When the voice can no longer sing, can the heart rise and soar?


My family knows how much music has meant to me throughout life. I have loved listening to beautiful music and I have loved to sing. This Christmas season is less bright than previous Christmases and the simple reason is that I can't sing.

No. The voice is no longer there. There has been an ongoing hoarsness made worse by speaking and definitely by singing. Doctors are trying to help and don't see any major problem such as a cancer. But the problem persists.

I was never an "accomplished" or "trained" vocalist. I just loved to sing and beautiful Christmas carols have filled my heart and throat for many seasons. But not this year.

So I feel sad. 

I feel void and somewhat empty. 

My moments of driving and singing along with the radio songs - gone. My lifting my heart and voice in congregational singing - gone.

I just read the lovely words of "Hark the Herals Angels Sing"..... and they are stunning. They are true revelations! They are so beautiful and speak of the majesty and beauty of our Lord. 

I knew that. I've read them for decades. But today I really READ them.

So whilst my voice is silent, my heart can surely soar.



Hark! the herald angels sing, 
"Glory to the new-born King! 
Peace on earth, and mercy mild, 
God and sinners reconciled." 
Joyful, all ye nations, rise, 
Join the triumph of the skies; 
With th' angelic host proclaim, 
"Christ is born in Bethlehem." 

Hark! the herald angels sing, 
"Glory to the new-born King!
Christ, by highest heaven adored: 
Christ, the everlasting Lord; 
Late in time behold him come, 
Offspring of the favoured one. 
Veiled in flesh, the Godhead see; 
Hail, th'incarnate Deity: 
Pleased, as man, with men to dwell, 
Jesus, our Emmanuel! 
Hark! the herald angels sing, 
"Glory to the new-born King!

Hail! the heaven-born Prince of peace! 
Hail! the Son of Righteousness! 
Light and life to all he brings, 
Risen with healing in his wings 
Mild he lays his glory by, 
Born that man no more may die: 
Born to raise the son of earth, 
Born to give them second birth. 
Hark! the herald angels sing,
"Glory to the new-born King !"
(Songwriters: Paul Bateman)
--Vera G.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment here at Chat With Vera. If you need to contact me directly, please use the email associated with this blog and posted in the sidebar.